This week it was my sister’s birthday and she requested (as per usual) a chocolate cake. But not just any chocolate cake, oh no, a Nutella chocolate cake made by the master of baking, our Nanny Wendy. I thought that I would share this incredibly tasty recipe with you for Food Friday! Enjoy!
Making time: 1 Hour Approx.
Cake tin sizes: 2x 7 inch round cake tins.
Oven temperature: gas mark 6, 180ºC (fan) or 200°C.
- 85g – margarine (preferably non-spreadable).
- 115g – caster sugar.
- 170g – self-raising flour.
- 2 tbsps – golden syrup.
- 1 – egg
- Small dash – vanilla essence, this is optional but helps to bring out the flavour of the chocolate.
- 1/4 pint plus 2 tbsps – milk.
- Pinch of salt to enrich the flavour.
- 4 level tbsps – cocoa powder.
- 1 level tsp – Bicarbonate of Soda
- Butter icing (to sandwich the cake layers together).
- 150g – unsalted butter or margarine.
- 300g – icing sugar.
- Optional – cocoa power in order to make chocolate buttercream.
- Nutella – the amount is entirely up to you.
- Optional (whatever you prefer): Chocolate decorations, sprinkles, cadburys flake, chocolate chips.
- Add bicarbonate of soda to the milk in a jug and mix well. Stir again prior to adding it to the cake mixture as it is important to make sure the bicarbonate of soda has dissolved.
- Beat together the margarine and sugar. Do this until lighter in colour and soft in consistency. The mixture should drop of the spoon fairly easily.
- Add the golden syrup alongside the vanilla essence and beat into the mixture. Remember to only add in a little vanilla essence as it can become overpowering.
- Mix the flour, cocoa and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Beat the egg well in another separate bowl.
- Add the beaten egg to the mixture a little at a time and beat together. Sift in a little amount of the flour, cocoa and salt to the mixture to prevent it from curdling. It is important to sift the dry ingredients so that lumps in the cocoa powder are removed.
- Then add the milk and the rest of the dry ingredients. Stir it in well but DO NOT beat as this will remove any air.
- Grease and line 2x 7 inch sponge tins. Lightly flour the tins.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for approximately 20-25 mins or until the cake is firm to touch. Oven temp: gas mark 6, 180ºC (fan) or 200°C.
- For the butter icing mix the icing sugar and unsalted butter (or margarine) together until it is pale in colour and fluffy. The more you mix it, the better it will be! You can add a tiny amount of milk in order to make it more smooth.
- Leave the cake to cool before spreading butter icing on one layer and then add the other layer on top.
- Beat the Nutella in a bowl to soften it so it spreads easily over the top of the cake.
- Decorate with what you prefer, I used chocolate cake decorations, sprinkles and a cadbury’s flake chopped up.
Let me know if you decide to make this by clicking here! Tag me in photos on instagram #heytherechannon or tweet me @heytherechannon :)
Don’t forget to follow me on Blog Lovin’ as I am posting a blog post six days a week for the whole of July!