Gas Mark 6, 200ºC or Fan 180º – cook for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Serves 4. Takes around 1 hour to prepare and make.
You will need:
- 4 – boneless chicken breasts cut into chunks.
- 2 – peppers, colours of your choice.
- 1 – onion.
- 200g – mushrooms or baby button mushrooms.
- 1/2 jar – Newman’s Own Spicy Cajun Sauce.
- Small pack of wooden skewers.
To garnish: coleslaw and lettuce.
Other ingredients you could use: cherry tomatoes, baby sweet peppers or chilli slices.
- Chop the vegetables into even size chunks. I would keep them relatively large in size so that they don’t fall apart on the skewer.
- Cut the chicken into similar size pieces as the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables and chicken to the skewers randomly. A top tip: add the onion next to the chicken to lock in flavour.
- Pierce the chicken once on the skewer using a knife, this allows for the marinade sauce to be absorbed.
- Brush the skewers with the marinade (I used a (clean) paint brush, I am a student… who doesn’t own a pastry brush).
- Leave them to marinade for at least half an hour, preferably in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to the temperature stated above. If you haven’t already, then place the skewers on a baking tray and place in the oven. Cook for around 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables roasted. I cooked mine on a BBQ, hence why the vegetables caught a bit on the edges.
- Whilst still warm, serve with a side of coleslaw and salad.
Extra tip: these are also super tasty cooled or the next day for a snack but remember to refrigerate them.
I was fortunate enough to be sent the Newman’s Own marinade* in the post and this is a recipe that I have come up with. This particular sauce can only be found at Tesco’s, although the rest of range can also be bought from Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Asda and Morrison’s. This is a tasty cajun sauce that isn’t too spicy but adds a nice flavour especially with chicken! I am excited to try their Caesar salad dressing and Basilico pasta sauce, which are waiting for me in my kitchen cupboard! Newman’s Own is a fantastic company that donates all of its profits to charity, now that is pretty awesome and I highly recommend these great tasting, affordable products to you all.
*Disclaimer: this is a sponsored post containing products that were sent to me, however all opinions are entirely my own.